Sunday, February 8, 2009

Brown Rice Sushi - this week's planned overs

Mmmm...

Tonight I had some brown rice sushi. It took about 30 to 40 minutes of actual work time, but the start to finish time was about 2 hours and above average clean up time. So... it was more work than I'm used to for a meal but I ended up cranking out 6 servings total. Two of those servings the trophy wife and I had for dinner. The rest I hope to use up over the next few days as planned overs. With the planned overs, the total cooking time per meal goes way down. Very nice indeed. AND... I love the taste of sushi.

Here's the recipe I ended up using:

2 cups of short grain brown rice
3 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup seeded, peeled and cut cucumbers (I had way too much, so... do less)
1 medium carrot
6 sheets of nori
1 oz. of avocado
imitation crab meat (pollock) - I had about 360 cals worth and cut it into strips

The trophy wife ended up adding mayonnaise to her roll.

So, this ended up making 6 rolls total. Each of those was cut into 6 to 8 little maki sushi. And there were quickly and tastily consumed with added soya sauce and a touch of wasabi.

I highly recommend planned overs. It is always nice to have a backup plan for lunches and dinner when you have a hectic week or just don't feel much like cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment