Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mustard Greens

Organic mustard greens were available at the local supermarket. Curious as ever, I decided to try them and I am very glad I did.

I prepared half the mustard greens in a salad. The greens were more salad like than kale and very spicy in a pleasant way. The warmth they produce is very nice to fix up what can sometimes become boring salads. Plus the texture is a nice change too.

The other half of the mustard greens were wilted with oil, garlic, and some soya sauce. These were excellent. I went out of my way to cut out the stems as many a recipe had suggested the stems don't wilt and can impact the consistency of the dish - they were right. Prepared this way the greens were similar to spinach. However, the taste was far superior.

I will definitely be getting more mustard greens in the future. However, although mine did not last long due to my appetite and curiosity, apparently mustard greens do not last as long as other greens or salad type items.

1 comment:

  1. That s really good to know about mustard greens ,hope we can take it as salad. Guide to Healthy Eating

    ReplyDelete